Sunday, August 9, 2009

Aiden's Surgery

On July 29th Aiden went in for surgery.
It was I moment I hoped wouldn't happen.
But the time was upon us.
The first terrifying moment came.
Aiden failed two hearing tests.
With no hint as to what the problem could be.
We headed to the ENT.
Ears, Nose and Throat Doctor.
Ear tubes and removal of the adenoids where recommended.
Within a week I found us up at the crack of dawn.
Aiden with his brave face on.
He was curious about the surrounding and his id bracelet.
But the nurse found just the right toy.
She gave a demonstration with Mr Hat and the O2 mask.
Then promptly smeared good smelly stuff in it.
Aiden was finally ready to try it out.
Then he wanted to eat the good smelling goo.
They gave him a medicine to help calm him.
Trust me when I say HE WAS CALM.
He giggled and giggled and giggled.
His legs were jelly.
His eyes were glazed over.
He was happy in la la land.
The nurse warned me that some children wake you combative.
Away they took my happy boy.
I was scared.
Aiden talked to the nurse about her hat and rubbed it softly.
He felt safe.
The 20 minute surgery took 50 minutes.
I told myself do not panic.
I would say "this is not a big deal."
I would quickly follow up with "then why does it feel like such a big deal."
Finally the Doctor came to say all was well.
His adenoids were the size of Walnuts.
I asked what sized are the suppose to be?
With a DUH he said peas.
I quickly called Tyson and left a message.
All is well.
I called Tara.
All is well.
Then they called me back to see my baby.
The nurse was struggling to hold him.
His eyes were closed.
He was sobbing.
Scared and unsure why he felt the way he did.
At first glance I thought he needs his Mom.
The nurse handed him over, relieved.
I tried to hold him.
Give him comfort.
Tell him I was there.
But I could barely hold him.
He would go straight as a board with all his strength.
He would almost be to the floor and the nurse would help pick him back up and place him in my arms.
"Why does this feel like such a big deal?"
"Why did I do this to my child?"
I struggled.
The nurses hurried to get him something for the pain.
Suddenly I understood combative.
He got the medicine.
He drifted in and out of conscientiousness.
In pain and scared.
Finally his eyes opened and he knew I was there.
Holding him.
He hurt.
He told me so.
His IV hurt.
His other hand hurt.
Slowly he came too.
So we broke free.
Later that night I counted his bruises.
Every failed IV.
One in Each foot.
Two in One Hand.
One in the other.
One in the belly.
And finally one in the forearm.
Seven tries.
I bet he did hurt.
It's been a couple of weeks.
The pain is gone.
He heard a plane on Friday.
And that's why we did it.
For those moments.



6 comments:

Susanna said...

7 IV's? Ouch! I'm glad that he's doing well and that his hearing has improved. Your story makes me so nervous for Kennady she's having surgery next week. She has to have 9 cavitites filled (I promise we brush her teeth) and because of her age she has to be put under general anesthesia for 4 hours. I hope the nurses are as fun with her as they were with Aiden.

Huss Family said...

So know exactly how you felt! Went through it with Natty. Now we are going to go through it with Noah who also has to have his adenoids removed. It's so hard to hand your baby over. Glad he is doing better though. I remember watching the drastic change in Natty after her eye surgery and thinking how it was totally worth it.

Derek said...

I am so glad that it went well but 7 IV stabs is definitely overkill and I would not be happy either. Thankfully I have "veins that you can shoot a cannonball through" so I haven't had to get upset with anyone about using me for a pin cushion. I am very happy that the surgery went well and that he can now hear the little things that he couldn't before (it is probably a lot like how I was with contacts for the first time).

Marcella Capasso said...

I've been told that the moment you become a parent you experience the greatest joys, but also the greatest sorrows and worries for your children. I know this experience was very hard for you and I'm happy to know Aiden's hearing is better.

Sarah Tava said...

OH my Megan I almost cried reading this post. You are such an amazing mother. I am so thankful that our little man is doing well and hearing planes!

Happy Birthday too! You're constantly in our thoughts and prayers

gamilaur said...

OK so you made me cry:( I'm so happy all went well and WOW amazing how they can start to hear things like airplanes in the sky, I'm sure it was mine I went through SEA that day:) Anywho, like father like son, I remember having those same feelings when Tyson had the same procedure:) and look how he turned out:) it's all good! Love, Gami